City wide Recycling collection is Wednesday. Please place items by the curb by 8:00 AM.
- Sort the aluminum cans into a paper bag, this simple act of kindness helps the city employees.
- Please flatten the corrugated cardboard boxes, this helps the city employees work more efficiently.
- Electronics may be recycled at Best Buys. Please visit Best Buy for more information.
- Batteries may be recycled at Battery Plus locations. Please visit Battery Plus Recycling for more information.
- How do I put my recycling at the Curb?
- You may collect it all in one or more containers, for instance, in cardboard boxes that you plan to recycle anyway. Paper grocery bags are fine, too, but please do not use plastic bags!
- Do I have to separate the different types of recycling?
- NO, you may co-mingle your recyclables in one or more containers! There's no need to separate plastics from paper from metal from glass.
- Are plastic lids on plastic containers recyclable?
- YES, caps and lids smaller than 2" in diameter are recyclable but you must put them back on empty containers before recycling them. Larger lids may be recycled separately from their containers.
- Are plastic tubes, such as those used for shampoo, lotion or sunscreen, recyclable?
- Yes, plastic tubes are recyclable. For best results, snip off the bottom of the tube for easy rinsing.
- May I recycle the pump in my big plastic lotion bottle?
- You may! But your favorite lotion (or shampoo, cleaning product, etc) may offer a refill option for your pump bottle. Check it out.
- What about aerosol spray cans?
- Yes, these are recyclable. Make sure they are completely empty.
- What do I do with plastic bags that say they are recyclable?
- DO NOT recycle them with your other curbside recycling! Please go to plasticfilmrecycling.org to find out where you may recycle them. Many of the local grocery stores (HEB, Krogers, Randalls) offer bins at the entry way for recycling plastic bags.
- Are waxed cardboard drink/food containers (ie. milk, juice, egg whites) recyclable?
- Yes, just make sure the containers are free of food before recycling
- What happens if my recycling is contaminated with things that should not be recycled?
- The City's recycling is taken to Waste Management recycling facility in the City's compactor truck. If our recycling is contaminated, the City may be fined a surcharge for the entire recycling load, something we wish to avoid.
- Pizza boxes are made of cardboard, so they are recyclable, right?
- Yes, but pizza is inherently greasy, and this grease can soak right into the bottom of the cardboard box. Soiled cardboard cannot be recycled. But it's not all destined for the landfill. Tear off the lid of the box, which is typically not soiled, and include only this part with your recyclables. If the bottom is soiled, it must go in the trash.
- Are wet paper and cardboard ok for inclusion with my other recyclables?
- For paper, it's a definite no. Wet paper will practically disintegrate before it can be sored. In the case of cardboard, if it is damp from water, it can be included with the recyclables. It it is soaking wet and/or wet from anything besides water, the answer is no.
- If heavy rain is imminent on recycling day, please save paper and cardboard for the following week.
- Can I recycle paper mailing envelopes with plastic bubbly-wrap lining?
- No. Consider buying regular envelopes and wrapping the enclosures with paper for extra padding.
- Are metal lids from glass jars recyclable?
- Yes, if separated from the jar, lids larger than 2" in diameter may be recycled. Put lids smaller than 2" in diameter in the trash, and never recycle jars with the lids attached. Separated lids less than 2" diameter get caught and can jam or damage recycling equipment.
Here are some Easy Swaps that will reduce both waste and the energy required to recycle. To get started pick one disposable to avoid, like single-use plastic bottles, or you can try to avoid the BIF Four : grocery bags, plastic straws, to-go coffee cups, and plastic water bottles.